Wednesday 25 March 2009

Chinese Confinement Do's & Don'ts...

1. Do breasfeed your bb
Its the best you can give, really!

2. Do eat more fruits & vege
Not the cooling type like papaya, apples, grapes, pumpkin & banana
No watermelons, or cabbages...

3. Do keep warm
Dress like an eskimo! hahah... get your feet covered, maybe your head if you think there is wind blowing around you.
But don't overdress in case you get heat stroke worr...

4. Do drink boiled water with red dates
This is my favourite drink, and if I have the time, I will still boil it to drink!
It helps to dispel wind and promote blood circulation, help in promoting appetite and thirst.

5. Do rest well
Yes, just lie down straight and don't do anything whenever possible. It helps to rest your spine and promotes healing. I didn't rest well, and that was why I was still having lochia discharge till 2 mths! Imagine having period for such a long time, and it was playing hide-n-seek with me!

6. DON'T take too much ginger or overeat
Being overweight is not my problem cos I was breastfeeding and I needed the extra calories! But too much ginger they say will contribute to the baby having jaundice if you breastfeed worr...
Also, if you had a ceasarean, then the wound wouldn't heal nicely if you had too much ginger.

7. DON'T stand up eating or drinking
...or even lying down immediately, cos i thought i heard the water which i drank running around in my "loose tummy". They say that after childbirth, the organs have not yet resumed its original position and are still in a relaxation state.

8. DON'T be exposed to extreme cold
During my second post-pregnancy, I was more aware of the cold wind around and realised that the air-con cool air was better than getting the fan blowing.
There is no wind coming from the air-con,(make sure the fan speed was low), just cooling made it easier for me to rest without sweating like a pig.


9. DON'T wash your hair for... XXXX days
xxx depends on your ability to withstand the oil on your head! I actually waited for about 30 days!!! and after that, I got natural hair wax on my head!
The reason behind it is that the pores are still open and can cause "wind" to get into your body. This may result in bad headache later on... well, time will prove it!

10. DON'T bathe???
Can wipe with warm boiled water with herbs, and wipe dry immediately, then cover up the area to prevent wind from entering your open pores!
So I actually didn't shower, only wiped everyday with boiled herbal water.

11. DON'T carry heavy things...
that also means no "pau-pau" for isaac! he is about 12 kgs! and I purposely showed him my wounded abdomen to say that I can't carry him cos it is painful for me.
Also I explained that the doctor had to cut open my stomach to take "mei-mei" out, just like how they took him out last time. Only when i am well, then i can carry him.
Also, I can't carry as my stitches are recovering and my uterus have to return to its place properly.

12. DON'T read??
My mom-in-law said that reading will actually spoil your eyes! hmmm... i think it is because we tend to look very near at the baby, and continuously looking near like reading (books/ computer/tv)will cause our eyes to be tired, and short-sighted.
Let the eyes rest... unless u have a solid reason to read to get your mind right on track! read no. 13.

13. DON'T think negative thoughts!
aha... yes, our very powerful mind and thoughts will disturb you at times of confinement due to various reasons! for me it was because i wanted so badly to have a natural birth, but ended up having ceasarean again! it took me some time to get my mind back on track, and reading really helped me feel better. Overall, we must invite good thoughts and stop thinking about the bad ones.
Talk to others if u need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

my slideshow